Dragon fruit, also known as strawberry pear, is a tropical fruit that has a bright red skin and speckled insides. It is definitely unique looking and some call it a superfood which has made it become more popular with those that are health-conscious. You can find dragon fruit in your local farmers market and it has many health benefits:
- Low in calories and packed with essentials vitamins and minerals, such as fiber, protein, magnesium, vitamin C and E to name a few.
- Helps fight chronic disease- can prevent cell damage and inflammation.
- Aids in digestion and promotes a healthy gut by promoting healthy bacteria.
- Strengthens your immune system- can boost low iron levels.
- Helps with weight loss and boosts metabolism.
- The antioxidants in the fruit can help fight signs of aging.
- Improves cardiovascular health.
- Helps to keep your hair nourished, shiny and healthy.
- Aids in fighting off the occurrence of congenital glaucoma.
- High in calcium so it improves bone-mineral density.
Beyond some of the great benefits above, dragon fruit is just a healthy snack for kids and adults alike. Although it is a seasonal fruit, (it’s really good in the framers markets right now- so look out for it) you can sometimes find it in the frozen section as well during off peak times, you can also find it in powder form. Mix your dragon fruit in smoothies, baking treats, pancakes/waffles, yogurt or just eat it raw. Either way, you won’t be disappointed!