24 Apr Spicy Black Bean Soup
Spicy Black Bean Soup
Total Time 3 hours
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped
- 3 celery ribs chopped fine
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 3 garlic cloves pressed or minced
- 4 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 1/2 cup of black beans
- 4 cups low-sodium vegan vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt a
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Optional garnishes: diced avocado and cilantro
Cook black beans for almost 1 1/2 hours or until slightly soften.
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions, celery and carrots and a light sprinkle of salt.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft.
Stir in the garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper and cook until fragrant.
Pour in the beans to the pot and broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Cook until the broth is flavorful and the beans are very tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the lime juice and salt and pepper, to taste.